Thursday, July 22, 2010

Character Workshop

0
How many of you use a different persona when you perform? Quite a few of you, I'd guess. I myself have a different persona, but the problem I have with this persona is not that he doesn't mesh well with my normal personality (in fact he works great with it!) but that he seems to be a bit...flat. 

The suggestion came down to me that perhaps creating a background for him would help, and so I'm working on writing up a narrative of this character's past to make him a bit more three dimensional. One of the things that is helping with this is fleshing out his personality as it stands now.

So here are some good starting questions to help you flesh out your persona:

  1. Name
  2. Age
  3. Clothing
  4. What does your character smell like?
  5. What are some of your character's mannerisms?
  6. Their strengths and weaknesses (three each)
  7. Favorite sayings?
  8. Interests (aside from magic, what does this character live for?)
  9. Favorite food, color, song, etc
  10. Education level?
  11. Favorite possessions?
  12. Why do they perform (motivations)?
  13. What is their philosophy?
  14. Are they very formal? Somewhat mischievous? 
Take these ideas and use them to flesh out your character. Remember, time spent doing this (as opposed to money spent buying tricks) will help you more in the long run.

Want to see some finished characters? Try Whit Hayden, Richard Turner, Derren Brown, Max Maven, or even (I'm sorry in advance) Criss Angel.

~Cameron Rivers, Kings To You Magic


No Response to "Character Workshop"