Tuesday, August 17, 2010

One of the best tricks ever

2
Now I figure that I'll probably catch some flack for this from some of you guys, but here goes:

A few years ago I saw an effect that really blew me away. It wasn't technically difficult or amazingly executed; it was beautiful, and a perfect example of giving someone a moment of magic that will last them a lifetime. The look on the man's face is pure, unadulterated magic. Check out the video:








Sure the trick is easily enough explained. The real magic is in the fact that I don't want to destroy something so wonderful to try and figure it out!

Now I know David Blaine isn't everyone's favorite magician, but in this moment, for this man, he is the greatest magician in the world. That man will remember the magic for the rest of his life.

The challenege is to, as David has done here, make your magic significant to your audience; leave them with a memory that will last them a lifetime. It doesn't matter if you are the best magician in the world! If you connect with your audience, you will be the best magician in their world!

~Cameron Rivers, Kings To You Magic

2 Response to One of the best tricks ever

August 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM

It's interesting that you picked this clip - as for a really long time when I was younger I searched for forever to find it, and was largely disappointed (as it so often happens) when I found out how it works. However then I realized that I didn't want to learn how to change coffee into coins -- I just wanted to be able to astonish somebody just like that. It wasn't the gimmick, it was the moment - the possibility that something may have just bent the rules of reality. When people have something question the basic assumptions of existence, they experience an extremely unique, "magical" feeling. And as a side note - it is in those basic assumptions that we find our greatest arsenal of 'magic' weaponry.

And as for David Blaine, I've always felt his greatest strength was not in his sleights but in his acting... (ok, you can say he's um... a bit... overdramatic? Understatement but it works because it gets him the reaction that he and his audiences want)

September 1, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Very well put.