Thursday, April 22, 2010

A collision of the old and the new

0
Something has been bothering me for a while now, and it happens to be something that most of you have never heard me comment on. It's something I feel should probably be addressed, lest it turn into an actual problem.

The issue is this: young magicians and older magicians are at odds. There is a battle occurring between these two groups on almost a daily basis. I hear about it when I socialize with groups of magicians:

"These kids don't appreciate the art."
"The old-timers don't want to help out."

And it goes on...

So here's the deal:

Young magicians, I understand that you're frustrated and have a ton of questions and love being flashy and doing things that are impressive. I get that, I do.

Older magicians, I understand that you view magic as something of a sacred brotherhood, a community devoted to the art and you feel the flashy impressive "card juggling" (yeah, hear that one a lot) has no place in the magic world, and I understand that.

So here's the compromise:

Young magicians: stop being so pompous. You are not the end all be all. You don't know everything and no, you don't deserve to know the secrets to everything just because you know a few card tricks. Be polite. Be courteous. And if you enjoy manipulations, then for the love of everything, don't let anyone stop you.

Older magicians: stop being so pompous. You are not the end all be all. Yes, you have years of experience on the young guys, but when they ask you how you did something, they are expressing amazement and respect, they don't mean to be rude. Perhaps no one taught them "magic manners". Oh, and if they like doing flourishy things, let them.

I guess what I'm saying is no, the younger generation is not going to be destroying the art, and no the older generation is not the infallible torch bearer. We are a community of magicians. we learn from each other every day. This means that the most green magician still has something to teach the most seasoned performer. Remember that.

No Response to "A collision of the old and the new"